Saturday 12 February 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic probably remains my favourite ever video game. The sequel KotORII: The Sith Lords, was good, but they rushed it to meet a deadline and so the story suffered. The comic book series, whilst not outstanding, was definitely a fun read.
When I heard about The Old Republic (about two years ago - has it been that long?), I was at first excited and then immediately turned off. It was to be a PC only MMORPG.
Problems:
1- I bought my PC in 2002 and I've pretty much done all I can to it to keep it going, but bless the little 1.5GHz processor is starting to slow down.
2- I'm not convinced that I would enjoy playing a MMO. Do I really have to play with other people?
3- How will being an MMO affect the strength of the story?
4- I have a real problem with paying for a game and then continuing to pay for it every month that I use it.

Why am I posting about it now? Well it looks like I'm going to be getting a new PC in the next three months. So have been thinking that I might have to have a deeper look into the details of the game and weigh up whether or not it's going to be a rip-off.
I've had a similar thought about DCU Online for PS3, but decided that I'd give it a miss purely because I don't want to play alongside Green Lantern, Batman and The Flash. I want to control those characters directly. Especially at £40-50 retail and then £10+ per month.
Star Wars though comes with the built in beauty of Jedi being plentiful. I could easily be a Jedi, with 3000 other Jedi running around. I couldn't be Batman with more than one other Batman running around.

Whether you are getting the game or not, these trailers from Blur Studios will rock your freaking socks off.



No comments:

Post a Comment