Tuesday 27 September 2011

Review - Wonder Woman #1

WONDER WOMAN #1
Written by BRIAN AZZARELLO; Art and cover by CLIFF CHIANG

Wonder Woman is one of those characters that I've always liked, but I've never been able to get into for one reason or another. I've really enjoyed what I have read of her in various Justice League and crossover books and I loved the animated feature, but I just haven't been able to stick with her monthly title.

I can really see that changing.

We are presented with Gods both good and bad, unwitting and disposable oracles and centaurs growing from the hole where a horse's head used to be. We have a woman being chased for no apparent reason being magically transported to Wonder Woman for no apparent reason. We have questions springing up everywhere.

Thankfully, by the end of the issue, Azzarello has posed as many new questions as he's answered. I certainly get the feeling that Wonder Woman is going to be a book filled with as much horror and mystery as it will superheroics.

The art has the odd panel that I wasn't thrilled about, but generally I would say that the style suits the book. The action flows really well and is brutal enough to convince us that Diana is from a warrior race.

My rating:
Wonder Woman has been hit and miss for a long time, but Azzarello and Chiang really nail what is great about the character. A good, solid, promising start. One to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment